I consider a good cryptozoological library to be one of the most important tools an investigator can have. Not only will it provide answers to the basic questions a beginning student will have, but it should provide a strong background of whatever field of cryptozoology one finds interesting. The main sightings and (as important) their sources can show where to start an investigation. There are hundreds of historical reports which have yet to be adequately investigated.
These are part of my personal cz library, not counting periodicals. These are the cryptozoological texts, rather than the general Fortean compilations. (And, these are just author/title; full citations can be found on other websites.) Not all of these are easily attainable, as many are out of print, or were privately published. Many are not as useful for actual investigations, as they provide few original source citations. If I had to recommend a starter's library for beginning investigators, those books which 1) provide a wide but detailed survey of their subject, 2) can suggest a starting point for your own investigations, and/or 3) can suggest a scientific methodology for your investigations, I would suggest those books I have marked with an asterisk (*). These are not particularly difficult to find, but may require searching online used bookstores.
There are, of course, numerous other cryptozoological texts; these are just the ones I've personally acquired. Many more on my want list...
Introduction to Cryptozoology Texts:
Primate (ABSM) Texts:
- Arment, Chad. The Historical Bigfoot.*
- Bartholomew, Paul and Bob, et al. Monsters of the Northwoods.
- Baumann, Elwood D. Bigfoot: America's Abominable Snowman.
- Berry, Rick. Bigfoot on the East Coast.
- Bindernagel, John A. North America's Great Ape: the Sasquatch.*
- Byrne, Peter. The Search for Big Foot: Monster, Myth or Man?
- Coleman, Loren. Bigfoot! The True Story of Apes in America.
- Coleman, Loren. Tom Slick and the Search for the Yeti.
- Coleman, Loren. Tom Slick: True Life Encounters in Cryptozoology.*
- Coleman, Loren, and Patrick Huyghe. The Field Guide to Bigfoot, Yeti, and Other Mystery Primates Worldwide.
- Daegling, David J. Bigfoot Exposed.
- Gordon, David George. Field Guide to the Sasquatch.
- Green, John. Bigfoot: On the Track of the Sasquatch.
- Green, John. Sasquatch: The Apes Among Us.*
- Hall, Mark A. Living Fossils.
- Healy, Tony, and Paul Cropper. The Yowie.*
- Heuvelmans, Bernard, and B. F. Porchnev. L'Homme de Néanderthal est Toujours Vivant.
- Holyfield, Dana. Encounters with the Honey Island Swamp Monster.
- Hunter, Don, and René Dahinden. Sasquatch.
- Hunter, Don, and René Dahinden. Sasquatch/Bigfoot.
- Johnson, Paul G., and Joan L. Jeffers. The Pennsylvania Bigfoot.
- Keating, Don. The Buckeye Bigfoot.
- Keating, Don. The Eastern Ohio Bigfoot.
- Krantz, Grover S. Big Foot-Prints.*
- Meldrum, Jeff. Sasquatch: Legend Meets Science.*
- Napier, John. Bigfoot: The Yeti and Sasquatch in Myth and Reality.*
- Opsasnick, Mark. Maryland Bigfoot Digest.
- Patterson, Roger. Do Abominable Snowmen of America Really Exist?
- Perez, Danny. Big Footnotes.
- Place, Marian T. On the Track of Bigfoot.
- Pyle, Robert Michael. Where Bigfoot Walks: Crossing the Dark Divide.
- Quast, Mike. Creatures of the North: The New Minnesota Sasquatch Encounters.
- Quast, Mike. The Sasquatch in Minnesota.
- Sanderson, Ivan T. Abominable Snowmen: Legend Come to Life.*
- Slate, B. Ann, and Alan Berry. Bigfoot.
- Wasson, Barbara. Sasquatch Apparitions.
Lake Monster and Sea Serpent Texts:
- Campbell, Steuart. The Loch Ness Monster: The Evidence
- Costello, Peter. In Search of Lake Monsters.*
- Dinsdale, Tim. Monster Hunt.
- Dinsdale, Tim. Project Water Horse.
- Ellis, Richard. Monsters of the Sea.
- Gaal, Arlene. In Search of Ogopogo.*
- Gaal, Arlene. Ogopogo.
- Heuvelmans, Bernard. In the Wake of the Sea Serpents.*
- Kirk, John. In the Domain of the Lake Monsters.
- LeBlond, Paul H., and Edward L. Bousfield. Cadborosaurus: Survivor from the Deep.
- Lee, Henry. Sea Monsters Unmasked.
- Mackal, Roy P. The Monsters of Loch Ness.
- Mangiacopra, Gary S., and Dwight G. Smith. Does Champ Exist?
- Meredith, Dennis L. Search at Loch Ness.
- Meurger, Michel, and Claude Gagnon. Lake Monster Traditions.
- O'Neill, J. P. The Great New England Sea Serpent.*
- Oudemans, A. C. The Great Sea-Serpent.*
- Radford, Benjamin, and Joe Nickell. Lake Monster Mysteries.
- Reinstedt, Randall A. Mysterious Sea Monsters of California's Central Coast.
- Zarzynski, Joseph W. Champ: Beyond the Legend.
Misc. Cryptozoology Texts:
- Arment, Chad. Cryptozoology and the Investigation of Lesser-Known Mystery Animals.
- Arment, Chad. Boss Snakes: Stories and Sightings of Giant Snakes in North America.
- Bille, Matthew A. Rumors of Existence.
- Bille, Matthew A. Shadows of Existence.
- Caldwell, Harry R. Blue Tiger.
- Carmony, Neil B. Onza! The Hunt for a Legendary Cat.
- Coghlan, Ronan. A Dictionary of Cryptozoology.
- Coleman, Loren. Curious Encounters.
- Coleman, Loren. Mothman and Other Curious Encounters.
- Coleman, Loren. Mysterious America.
- Coleman, Loren. Mysterious America: The Revised Edition
- Gallagher, Tim. The Lord God Bird.
- Gibbons, William. Missionaries & Monsters.
- Guenette, Robert and Frances. The Mysterious Monsters.
- Hall, Mark A. Natural Mysteries.
- Hall, Mark A. Thunderbirds!
- Healy, Tony, and Paul Cropper. Out of the Shadows: Mystery Animals of Australia *
- Heuvelmans, Bernard. Sur la Piste des Betes Ignorées: Amérique, Sibérique, Afrique.
- Izzard, Ralph. The Hunt for the Buru.
- Mackal, Roy P. A Living Dinosaur? In Search of Mokele-Mbembe.*
- Marshall, Robert. The Onza.
- Nugent, Rory. Drums along the Congo: On the Trail of Mokele-Mbembe, the Last Dinosaur.
- Sanderson, Ivan T. Investigating the Unexplained.
- Shuker, Karl P. N. The Beasts that Hide from Man.
- Shuker, Karl P. N. Extraordinary Animals Worldwide.
- Shuker, Karl P. N. From Flying Toads to Snakes with Wings.
- Shuker, Karl P. N. In Search of Prehistoric Survivors: Do Giant 'Extinct' Creatures Still Exist?*
- Shuker, Karl. The Lost Ark.
- Shuker, Karl P. N. Mysteries of Planet Earth.
- Shuker, Karl P. N. Mystery Cats of the World.*
- Smith, Malcolm. Bunyips & Bigfoots: In Search of Australia's Mystery Animals.*
- Waldron, David, and Simon Townsend. Snarls from the Tea-Tree: Big Cat Folklore.*
Zoological Mythology texts:
- Collins, Andrew. The Brentford Griffin.
- McCloy, James F., and Ray Miller, Jr. The Jersey Devil.